|Submitted by Haig Vejprava
My family and I have been seasonal residents of the North Shuswap for 15 years. We have witnessed first-hand the friendliness, community spirit, and willingness to help neighbours that this area is well recognized for. However, we could never have anticipated the incredible Shuswap support that we received during a recent traumatic experience.
We have hiked the Adams River trail countless times with guests and all the dogs that end up at our cabin. Janice and I set out again on Friday May 18th on a beautiful day, accompanied by our grand-dog Ivory, a 2 year old white Lab. We had just reached the top of the hill leaving the parking lot when the day became a nightmare. At the top of the hill we approached Jennifer Neilly and her two dogs only a few yards away. Rather than greet the dogs as usual, Ivory saw the river far below and made a sharp turn to hit a small clearing heading straight down an extremely steep cliff. As we all know, at this time of year the Adams is beyond scary near the height of its force. In only the few seconds it took Jennifer and I to reach the opening, Ivory was already in the river and well out of sight.
…..read the whole story on the front page of this issue of the Kicker
In other news….
- Roderick Haig-Brown Park Being Renamed – pg. 13
- Local Cheerleader Back From All-star Competition – pg. 24
- Spotted Moose Aiming for Self-sustained Farming – pg. 30
Calendar of Events
- 25th On the Water Poker Run ad Captains Village Marina Father’s Day – pg. 38
- Indigenous People’s Day at Quaaout Lodge - June 21st pg. 27
- Bonnie Kilroes’ tribute to Patsy Cline – June23
- 1st Annual Scotch Creek Walk-About – June 24 – pg. 17
- Friday Nights Live kicks off June 30
- Canada Day Events – pg. 36
- ……Read details and more calendar of events on page 70
** Having a hard time reading this version of the Kicker?
Click on “past issues” for a pdf. version
Ad Deadline for next issue is WEDNESDAY June 20
We hit the stands on July 6.
** For advertising info email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Tracy 250-955-0534
Check the Kicker out on Facebook
Go to www.facebook.com/shuswapkicker